The Physical Therapy Approach to Male Pelvic Health
(2 day course)
Pre-requisite: (Entry Level) course in uro-gynecology, The Physical therapy approach to female urinary incontinence (or equivalent)
Note: this is a NEW 2 day course being offered in Québec City, November 2019 (in French)
TREATING THE MALE PELVIC FLOOR PATIENT
The two most common male conditions that are seen by pelvic floor physiotherapists are post- prostatectomy urinary incontinence and chronic pelvic pain. Both conditions may also involve some degree of sexual dysfunction.
This two-day course will enable the participant to perform a comprehensive evaluation of the male pelvic floor patient and to establish and progress an appropriate treatment plan, for incontinence or for pain. It will also allow for a clear understanding of male sexual function as well as typical mechanisms of dysfunction, especially in relation to the above pathologies.
|Marie-Josée Lord B. Sc. (P.T.)||Di Wu M. Sc. (P.T.)|
Marie-Josée Lord has been successfully treating patients affected with pelvic floor dysfunction for almost 30 years. With her colleague Claudia Brown, they started Physiotherapie Uro-Sante 25 years ago, a teaching company, and have trained physiotherapists across Canada in the field of pelvi-perineal re-education.
Di Wu is originally from China, where he received his Master of Surgery and Bachelor of Medicine, and worked as an orthopedic surgeon from 2007 to 2010. After coming to Canada, he attended McGill University and received his M. Sc. PT in 2013. He is now a clinical physiotherapist and has been treating a variety of pelvic floor disorders in males for more than 5 years.
Di also treats other musculoskeletal conditions and has an interest in their impact on pelvic floor function. As a certified Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT) therapist, he innovatively used MDT as a screening tool to rule out spinal sources of pelvic pain and dysfunction. He has described this approach in a case study which was published in the journal Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.
Di is engaged in promoting pelvic health internationally. In the summer of 2018, he assisted Claudia Brown in lectures at several conferences in China. He also organised an intensive pelvic floor rehabilitation training program for Chinese physicians.
Here at Uro-Santé, Di is an instructor and coordinator of the international education program.
By the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- -Understand the male urogenital anatomy and physiology
- -Know about pathologies of the prostate
- -Understand treatment options for prostate cancer
- -Understand the incidence and pathology of male chronic pelvic pain
- -Use acquired knowledge to perform a comprehensive evaluation of the male pelvic floor patient, including a full history and clinical examination
- -Adapt treatment approach for female incontinence to the treatment of the incontinent male patient
- -Establish and progress a treatment plan for chronic pelvic pain according to evaluation findings
- -Recognize the link between male pelvic disorders and sexual dysfunction, and improve the impact of treatment of pain on sexual dysfunction
Day 1, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Day 2, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm